Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Progress Shot

Half way through my assignment, I discovered the need to take photo's of my progress in google sketch up, this is because by explaining tips and tricks through words is far difficult to understand. In particular, these shots show how I constructed the curves in which Steve Jobs' space exhibits.



.

Note my use of tape measure in google sketch up, this is a tool in which pin points everything to snap perfectly, it may be tedious, but may prevent you from going insane later down the track.

This is when i seperate the design into different components so that I can import meshes with different textures from Google Sketchup into UT 2004.


This is essentially the core of creating unique curved shapes. Yes, there are other ways to create cool shapes with small amountes of smooth curves via intersection methods, however, to me, that is simply striking a optimal balance between your true imagination and personal convenience. It changes the outcome of what you originally had in mind for the design. Hence, I insisted to created each curve manually using the arc tool, until you are satisfied with the gradient and connection of every point.



Rescaling and drawing the construction lines...




Using the follow me tool...





Just like construction in reality, I used mouldes to create idential shapes intersections. To create these moulds, i combine them into components, this way when I intersect, I can still remove the mould.


This is an example from Zhang Yin's space, I uploaded this image to illustrate how important the tape measure tool is, prior to EXP 3, I never used it because I always held the shift button and at the most draw lines. The downside is that these lines will appear and interfere with your model as you work, where as the tape measure tool is easy to remove because it projects into the horizon where you can easily erase out with the eraser tool.



No comments: